This year we celebrate 100 years of archaeology at the University of Warsaw. We would like to organize an international jubilee conference and to invite a wide range of specialists to participate in sessions or workshops with narrower thematic areas. The conference will take place on December 8-13, 2019 at the Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw.
The panel entitled Transformations in Antiquity will include papers discussing one of the following aspects of transformation process, which resulted in changes in the nature of Classical Antiquity:
- transformation of military and civilian space, particularly transformations of military bases into late Roman towns
- social transformations, ethnic changes, Romanization, acculturation expressed in archaeological finds
- transformations of Roman provincial landscape after the Roman conquest and in the Migration Period
- transformations on both sides of the frontier: mutual influence between the Roman frontier zone and Barbaricum resulting in their changes
- cultural and language transformations: Latin, Greek and local languages within the Roman empire
- economic transformations of Late Antiquity
- religious transformations and its influence on the town’s space.
The panel will be held on 11th December 2019 (Wednesday) at the Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw.
The language of the conference is English.
We invite submission of paper titles by July 15th, 2019 and abstracts in English (ca. 300 words) by August 31st, 2019, at: email@example.com. The presentations must not exceed 20 minutes.
The provisional programme of the Conference will be announced by November 1st, 2019.
The organizers reserve the right to choose the proposals sent by participants.
Costs and payments: The participation in the conference is free. Please note that the organisers do not cover travel and accommodation expenses.
Conference materials, accommodation and meals: The organizers offer help in booking convenient accommodation in Warsaw during the Conference. The organizers will provide conference materials and refreshments during the Conference. We also plan a free conference dinner party for the participants.
Post-conference publication: The participants are invited to submit full and original research papers that have not been published or submitted for consideration elsewhere. The conference papers will be published in the reviewed book series Światowit Supplement Series published by the University of Warsaw.
Ass. Prof. Agnieszka Tomas, Department of Archaeology of the Roman Provinces, Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw, ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warsaw, PL. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This panel is organized with support of the National Science Centre, within the project entitled Extramural settlement near the Roman legionary fortress at Novae (Lower Moesia) and its fate in Late Antiquity, no. 2015/19/B/HS3/01790.