Course Name: Excavations
Course Type: field course
Lecturer, time & place: will be announced
During excavations the students will test their theoretical knowledge acquired during other courses, especially Introduction to Archaeology and Methodology of Archaeology; furthermore, they will use excavation tools including measuring equipment. Special attention will be paid to stratigraphic analysis and documentation.
Excavation practices will encompass the following issues:
- Organisation of excavation research.
- Site measurements.
- Setting up a grid.
- Marking out trenches.
- Selection of research methods.
- Exploration of trenches.
- Descriptive documentation.
- Drawing and photographic documentation.
- Extraction and initial conservation of finds.
- Listing of finds.
- Stratigraphic analysis.