The MA programme in Archaeology is available for holders of a BA in Archaeology or related disciplines who are fluent in English. Admission is conducted through the Internet Recruitment of Candidates (IRK) web page.
Registration for Archaeology is open from July 13th until August 12th.
The last day to pay the recruitment/admission fee is August 13th.
Documents required from Candidates for Master’s Degree studies are as follows:
- the higher education diploma (MA, BA, engineer diploma or equivalent) and transcript of grades obtained during the course of study, entitling to continue university-level study in country in which the diploma was issued,
or original of the certificate confirming graduation from studies and containing information on level, programme and profile of studies;
- a personal questionnaire, which includes candidate’s photo, printed out from candidate’s individual registration account in the IRK system and signed by the candidate;
- an application for issuing electronic student’s id (ELS), which includes candidate’s photo, printed out from candidate’s individual registration account in the IRK system and signed by the candidate;
- a proof of student’s id (ELS) payment – in case of candidates not holding ELS;
- statement on becoming acquainted with the amount of fees for educational services at the University of Warsaw;
- a legalisation (authorisation) or apostille of the original of secondary school (maturity) certificate and transcript of grades or the higher education diploma and transcript of grades;
- a document stating that the certificate / diploma entitles to undertake or continue university-level study in country in which the certificate / diploma was issued (a sample form);
- accepted by the University of Warsaw document confirming proficiency in English language (at least B2 level);
- A health certificate issued by a doctor stating that you are fit to study (translated if in a different language than English or Polish);
- a photocopy of visa or other document proving legalisation of stay in Poland – in case of foreigners staying in Poland
Qualification is based on the higher education diploma final grade and interview conducted in English language. Its aims are assessment of candidate’s ability to study archaeology, as well as evaluation of the candidate’s scope of interest in terms of the particular field of study.
Final result will be calculated as following:
0,5 – final diploma grade
0,5 – qualification interview
Qualification interview can be organised via Internet communicator allowing for the visual identification of the candidate, e.g. Skype. As for fixing the interview date, all candidates should contact the Admission Committee immediately after registration in the IRK system.
A candidate attends the interview, which is in English, in front of a commission consisting of three members including two members of the Recruitment Committee of the Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw and one lecturer of the Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw.
The questions will regard basic knowledge concerning archaeology and its specific terminology. A candidate can prepare to the interview based on the references presented below.
Time of the interview is approx. 20 minutes.
1.) J.M. Coles, Experimental Archaeology, London, 2010
2.) I. Hodder, S. Hutson, Reading the Past: Current Approaches to Interpretation in Archaeology, Cambridge, 2003
3.) C. Renfrew, P. Bahn, Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice, London, 2012
Date of qualifiaction interview: 19th-20th of August, 2020, from 10 a.m.
We also welcome Erasmus and Erasmus Mundus students of archaeology and related disciplines for one/two semester stays.
The cost of the full programme for all students is 4000 Euros (2000 Euros per year). The tuition fee should be paid via bank transfer to your individual student bank account number (the account number will be listed on your USOSweb account page).
The IBAN account number is the individual account number preceded by PL.
The SWIFT account number is the individual account number.
Inquiries concerning recruitment: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiries concerning the Internet Admission System: email@example.com
Inquiries concerning student life (dormitories, scholarships, etc.): firstname.lastname@example.org